Our privacy commitment to you
NECA Education & Careers (ABN 53 054 944 366) is committed to the security of your personal information.
NECA Education & Careers maintain all personal information in accordance with the 13 Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act 1988, which regulates how NECA Education & Careers collects, uses and keeps secure your personal information.
Personal Information is any information that identifies you or by which your identity can be reasonably determined. We will always be honest and transparent about how we use your personal information. All information collected by NECA Education & Careers is in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (APP’s) and will only be disclosed in accordance with these Principles.
Collection of Personal Information
In the course of our function and activities as a Group Training Organisation (GTO) and Registered Training Organisation (RTO), NECA Education & Careers collects personal information from apprentices, trainees, host employers, students, employers, job seekers, customers and staff to provide you with the best possible service.
Personal information that we may collect and hold about you includes:
- Your name, mailing and/or street address, phone numbers, fax numbers, email addresses.
- Information pertaining to Employment: (including your; date of birth, employment status, qualifications achieved, employment/work history, emergency contact details, Tax File Number, bank account details, superannuation fund account details, proof of residency, sensitive information like relevant medical information and other information reasonably necessary to conduct our services).
- We may also require parental/guardian (name/contact) information for those under 18 years of age.
- Information pertaining to Enrolment: (including your; date of birth, Victorian Student Number, Unique Student Identifier, qualifications achieved, employment status if relevant, emergency contact details, proof of residency, fee concession entitlement, sensitive information like relevant medical information and other information reasonably necessary to conduct our service).
- We may also require parental/guardian (name/contact) information for those under 18 years of age.
If you are an individual registering as a host employer, we will also collect additional types of personal information to assess your credit risk. For those details refer to the ‘credit related information’ further below.
Wherever possible, we will collect personal information directly from you, except where you have consented to us collecting the personal information from a third party or the law permits us to do so or it is unreasonable or impractical to do so.
You may decide to provide your personal information to NECA Education & Careers for a range of different reasons and in a range of means including, when you:
- Complete an enrolment form online or in-person
- Complete an employment contract
- Apply for a position online or in-person
- Complete a market research survey or questionnaire
- Contact NECA Education & Careers by email, telephone or mail
- Engage in NECA Education & Careers social media activities
- Provide us with documents containing your personal information
- Enter a competition or promotion being conducted by NECA Education & Careers
- Register to attend events held by NECA Education & Careers
- Access and use our website
We may also collect information from other sources such as written material sent to us, and publicly available sources such as newspapers, social media, directories, and public registers.
Use of Personal Information
NECA Education & Careers will only use information that we hold about you for the primary purposes of delivering services as a GTO and RTO. Including but not limited to:
- Employing apprentices/trainees
- Hosting apprentices/trainees to host employers
- Enrolment and delivery of training courses
We may also use your personal information to provide you with information about NECA Education & Careers products, services, events, and industry updates which we consider may be of interest to you.
What happens if you do not provide the information requested?
If you choose not to provide the personal information that we ask for, or the information that you provide us is incomplete or inaccurate, it may mean that NECA Education & Careers may be unable to process your enrolment or employment.
We will consider that you consent to direct marketing unless you opt out. You may opt out at any time if you no longer wish to receive marketing information or do not wish to receive marketing information through a channel, like email. You can make this request by referring to the contact details further below.
The personal information that NECA Education & Careers collects from or about you may also be used for secondary purposes such as updating you on changes to industry requirements and offering products and services that may be available through the GTO and RTO.
Disclosure of Personal Information
In order to provide you with our service, we may disclose some of your personal information to a number of organisations including but not limited to:
- Organisations engaged by, in partnership with or other service providers of NECA Education & Careers for the purpose of establishing or administrating services and promotions (direct marketing) such as the National Electrical and Communication Association (NECA)
- Information and Communication Technology providers
- Host Employer/Employer
- As authorised by or under an Australian law or court/tribunal order
- Relevant government departments in relation to apprenticeships and traineeships
- Relevant government departments or designated authorities in relation to the provision of training services.
Where personal information is disclosed NECA Education & Careers will take all reasonable steps to ensure third parties use this information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles.
We do not disclose your personal information overseas.
Unsubscribing from NECA Education & Careers communications
If you don’t wish to receive marketing material from NECA Education & Careers, you can unsubscribe by either contacting the Privacy Officer through the contact details below or by selecting the unsubscribe function on electronic communications.
Credit card security
NECA Education & Careers collects information to facilitate financial purchase transactions. We share this information with credit card processing organisations as necessary to complete the transaction, but no credit card information is shared with any other third parties or stored permanently on our web server.
Credit related information
If you are an individual/sole trader registering as a host employer, NECA Education & Careers will use your information to conduct a credit assessment before you can be approved to hire an apprentice or trainee.
Anonymity and pseudonymity
In accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles, a customer may choose to communicate with NECA Education & Careers anonymously or by using a pseudonym, where this is practicable. Customers dealing with NECA Education & Careers anonymously or by pseudonym must accept that NECA Education & Careers can take no responsibility for providing further information or services related to any transaction or communication.
Storage and Security of Personal information
NECA Education & Careers will take reasonable steps to ensure all personal information held by the organisation is kept secure, both in a physical and electronic form, and will protect from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. When the information is no longer needed for any purpose for which the information may be used or disclosed, it will be destroyed or permanently de-identified unless it is required by law.
Links on our websites
Access to and updating your personal information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that all your personal information that we collect, use or disclose is accurate and up to date.
If you believe there are errors or omissions in your personal information that we hold, please notify NECA Education and Careers and we will endeavour to correct or add the information as soon as possible.
You may request access to your personal information or school participation and progress records held by us (subject to some exceptions allowed by law) by submitting:
- a written request in person to Student Services
- or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- your request must include proof of your ID as a student of NECA Education & Careers
Upon verification of your ID, we undertake to provide you access to your records within 7 business days.
An administration fee of $76.00 applies to obtain access to your records where documentation has been archived off site, and we need to retrieve it from storage. However, we will not charge you if your records are held on campus.
Concerns and complaints
Ph: 03 9381 1922
PO Box 187 North Carlton VIC 3054
If we receive a privacy complaint it will be treated seriously and dealt with promptly, in a confidential manner, and in accordance with NECA Education & Careers internal complaints handling procedures.
In the event that your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may refer your complaint to the Office of the Australia Information Commissioner (OAIC) using the online Privacy Complaints Form, which can be accessed via the OAIC’s website at http://www.oaic.goc.au/privacy/making-a-privacy-complaint. The OAIC can also receive complaints via mail, fax or email using the details provided on the next page. If you need help lodging a complaint, you can call the OAIC enquiries line on 1300 363 992.
Director of Compliance (investigations)
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Ph: 1300 363 992
Fax: (02) 9284 9666
Need more information?
If you would like more information about privacy and the Privacy Act (including the Australian Privacy Principles), you can access the Privacy Commissioner’s website on www.privacy.gov.au
This policy is due for review: July 2021
The policy owner shall review this document twelve (12) months after initial publication and thereafter at twelve (12) monthly intervals.
Last updated August 2020