|Location:||Victoria and Tasmania|
|Qualification:||Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician|
Electricians install, maintain, repair and test electrical and electronic equipment for industrial, commercial and domestic purposes. Electricians may also work on electrical distribution equipment.
Electricians may perform the following tasks:
- Reading electrical, architectural and mechanical diagrams, drawings and specifications to determine job requirements
- Plan the layout of wiring systems
- Installation of lighting, power, conduit, cable tray, ladder rack and emergency lighting
- Carry out fault finding, testing, repair and maintenance of electrical equipment
- Connect electrical equipment and appliances
- Install switchboards and motors
- Installation of automation and controls
- Voice and Data Installation.
- With further experience, business training and completion of a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) course, electricians may choose to become electrical contractors, running their own business.
Qualifying as an electrician involves:
- Four years commitment to your electrical apprenticeship
- Attending paid work with a ‘host employer’ for the duration of the electrical apprenticeship
- Attend off-the-job training at the NECA Education and Careers purpose built training facility
- Successfully complete all requirements.
Ideal personal requirements to be an electrician include:
- Enjoy mathematical and technical activities
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Good hand skills
- Problem solving skills
- Able to undertake precise and detailed work
- Excellent communication skills.
- You earn while you learn
- Annual Leave
- Personal Leave
- Nationally recognised qualification
- Dedicated Industry Careers Consultant, who will guide you every step of the way, from the day they interview you, through to completion. Whether this is one, two or four years from now, your Industry Careers Consultant will always be there for you to discuss training needs, workplace performance or to have a general chat about work or life, or both (link to field officer page)
- A head start to your career!
“The exposure to different styles of work and the way in you are prepared for working in the industry is what NECA Education & Careers gives you”Adam Howatt - Electrical Apprentice