Women and Their Trade
NECA Education & Careers, in conjunction with Apprenticeships Victoria, is delighted to announce our Women and Their Trade initiative which is designed to provide career opportunities for women in the electrical industry.
The initiative is being undertaken with the assistance of funding from the Victorian Government’s Apprenticeship Innovation Fund through the Apprenticeships Victoria “Women in Apprenticeships” Project.
Our Women and Their Trade project will see 25 women over the next 2 years engage in their electrical apprenticeship with NECA Education & Careers. Our goal is to follow these apprentices through to successful completion and to arm them with tools, resources and support that will see them benefit for well into their electrical careers.
Our project focuses on women in the electrical industry, and we are determined to break down the barriers. In 2020, a total of 143 women were given the opportunity to commence an electrical apprenticeship in Victoria. That is 143 out of 3,067 commencements, or only 4.6% of all electrical apprenticeships were offered to women in 2020. Overall, in 2020, there were 10,100 electrical apprentices in Victoria. Only 352 of them were women, a mere 3.5%!
NECA Education & Careers has seen how this underrepresentation of women in our industry has led to even less women having the desire to join our industry. If you can’t see it, you can’t be it!
Our Women and Their Trade program looks at the barriers preventing women from entering electrical apprenticeships and, working with our electrical contracting partners, plans to pave the way for equity of women in electrical apprenticeships.
So what’s on offer?
- An A grade Electrician mentor – a fellow female who can guide you through your electrical apprenticeship
- Mature age welcome – another barrier broken down
- Additional training – Resilience training and strengths uncovering, as well as financial guidance
- Training support – by our NECA Education & Careers Learning Support Specialist
- Training delivery – with one of our preferred TAFE partners
- and a range of other benefits including networking events with others, just like you.
Fill in the form below to get in contact with one of our WaTT team members and see how you too can call the electrical industry your trade, your career.