Licensed Electrician’s Assessment: Everything you need to know

Kathryn Whitfield BeltonElectrical Sector18 Comments

Licensed Electrician's Assessment: Everything you need to know


So you’ve decided to become an electrician. Your apprenticeship is sorted, you’re set on a trade school and can’t wait to get started, but what happens after your four years?

If you want to become a fully licensed electrician in Victoria, you will have to pass the Licensed Electrician’s Assessment after your apprenticeship. So what do you need to take the Electrical License Assessment?

What is the Licensed Electrician’s Assessment?

The Licensed Electrician’s Assessment (LEA), sometimes known as an ‘A Grade Exam’, is a set of exams that all electricians take before being awarded their licence. Passing the assessment and becoming a licence holder means that you can do all types of electrical installation work without a supervisor. So in some sense the LEA is the final stepping stone on your way to becoming a fully qualified electrician.

The LEA consists of three exams: a practical, theory and safety test.The LEA is made up of three separate exams. Each tests a different aspect of your skills and knowledge.

The LEA includes three assessments:

  1. The Licensed Electricians Theory (LET): A written exam that tests a broad range of knowledge. It takes two hours 15 minutes in total.
  2. The Licensed Electricians Practice (LEP): A practical test split into four parts: wiring a meter box and switchboard, MEN system testing, identifying visual defects, and testing an installation. Takes four hours total.
  3. Safe Working Practice (SWP): Tests whether you can safely disconnect then reconnect a piece of electrical equipment. Takes 40 minutes total.

To pass each section you need to score 75 per cent and above.

If you have any circumstances that should be taken into account for taking written exams, such as learning disabilities, you can apply for special consideration. This could include time extensions, or the use of scribes (must be approved by ESV).

Where can you take the LEA?

The LEP exam can be taken at either Melbourne Polytechnic or with Future Energy Skills.

The LET and SWP can be taken at the Future Energy Skills, Melbourne Polytechnic or certain registered training organisations in the state of Victoria.

When are you eligible to take the LEA?

The LEA isn’t open to everyone. To sit the assessment you will need to provide the assessors (at whichever institution you choose to do your exams) with evidence that you are authorised to sit the assessments.

You can only take your LEA after you have finished your apprenticeship.You don’t have to worry about taking your LEA until you have finished your four year apprenticeship.

For most electrical apprentices this means proving that:

  • You have completed the necessary units and your profiling is up to date. Your trade school will provide you with an authorisation letter stating you meet these requirements.
  • You can start sitting your SWP & LET as soon as you finish school.

For most assessors this will mean giving them one of the following documents:

  • Signed Authorisation to Undertake form from your Registered Training Organisation or Trade school.
  • An Electrician’s (A/E Class) license for REC Technical Assessment.
  • An Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) or Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC).
  • An Electrician (Supervised) Licence (ES Class).
  • A Supervised Worker’s Licence (L Class).

Can you take it early?

If you are on track to finish your apprenticeship before fours years is up, you may want to become licensed straight away. This may sound like a good plan in theory and it is possible, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get there.

The Electricity Safety (Licensing and Registration) Regulations 2010 require an apprenticeship to be a four-year contract of training. This means anything less than that can make it difficult to prove that you have successfully completed the requirements to sit your licensing exams.

If you are successful in getting early release from your apprenticeship from the VRQA and your employer, you will still only be eligible for the LEA if you have skipped less than six months of the full four years.

If this is not the case, you can still work but only by to holding a Supervised Workers Licence until you have made up the remaining time.

Can you prepare?

After finishing four years of your apprenticeship the prospect of a final set of exams before you start your career can be daunting. But don’t worry, there are lots of ways that you can prepare.

The best resource for the theory assessment is past papers. The majority of assessment organisations provide a selection of these on their websites so you won’t run out of practice questions to get you in shape.

past papers are a great way to prepare for the LEA.Prepare as much as you can for your assessments. A great place to start is the past papers available online.

Your trade school should also be able to provide you with some resources to help with studying and preparation for the big day.

To give yourself the best chance of passing with flying colours you could consider taking an optional preparation course. Some trade schools, including NECA Education & Careers, around the state provide specialised tuition on exactly what you will need to know for each assessment.

NECA Education & Careers provides a thorough tutorial program where you can brush up on your knowledge for all three assessments or just the ones you think need the most attention. Get in contact with the NECA Education & Careers team to learn more about how they can help you prepare and our LEA tutorials.


18 Comments on “Licensed Electrician’s Assessment: Everything you need to know”

    1. Hi Marita,

      Thanks for your comment.

      Prices are subject to change, so we include links to the pages with the most up-to-date fee information. Each tutorial page has a fee breakdown:

      You can also check the website of Future energy Skills, the exam facilitator, or contact our Student Services team.

      A tester should be part of every apprentice’s kit, and bringing your own will ensure you’ll be comfortable using it during the exams.


    2. Could you advise when there is a vacancy and the costs involved in preparing and sitting exams. My son has past two. Regards and tgankyou

    1. Hi Simon,

      Thanks for your comment.

      After completing your Cert III you have 3 months to complete your LEAs.

      For further information you can contact Energy Safe Victoria or our Student Services team.


  1. Hi
    i am experienced in electrical works and worked nearly 4 years in same field in india form (2013 to 2017)
    now i am in Australia working as field service engineer.
    i wan to get A grade Electrician licence.
    My qualification is Bachelor of Engineering in (Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering) it is a 4 years full time degree.

    What is the first step for me to for getting A grade Electrician Licence

    1. Hi Birbal,

      Thanks for your comment.

      You’ll need to have your qualification assessed by Trades Recognition Australia to determine your eligibility to apply for the A Grade Licence. Find out more on their website here.


    2. Hi,

      It’s veen roughly 12 months since I finished my cert 3. I have my SWP booked for next Wednesday. I’m just wondering if There will be any issues getting my Agrade as it’s been a while since I was signed off and completed my 4yrs

    1. Hi Len,

      Thanks for your comment!

      Because you already have a licence in another Australian state, you won’t need to sit the licencing assessments. Instead, you will need to apply for an equivalent licence under Mutual Recognition, with the licensing body for your new state. In Victoria this is ESV, and their requirements are completing some paperwork to prove you’re licensed, and paying a fee. See the ESV website for more info:


  2. I was assessed by TRA Trades Recognition Australia and received a skill assessment in Electrical Engineering Technician with 12 years of validated experience and one degree, I would like to take the test that provides me with an OTSR to enter my license and work legally in Australia. Can I take the preparation course and then the test?

    1. Hi Rodrigo,

      Thanks for your comment.

      Once Trades Recognition Australia have issued you with an OTSR, you will need to complete context gap training to receive your Cert III and be able to apply for your full licence. We don’t offer context gap training so you’ll need to contact TRA here to find a training provider that does.

      After you’ve successfully obtained your Cert III you can complete tutorials at NECA Education & Careers to prepare you for the three licensing exams, learn more here.

      If you have any further questions, contact our Student Services team or the licensing body Energy Safe Victoria.


  3. Hi, is there a facility/program to better prepare for the practical test component of the A Grade series of three tests?
    Apprenticeship served in an area of electrical work (data) without as much exposure to “true” domestic and commercial electrical work (switchboards/wiring houses etc.)?

    1. Hi Craig,

      Thanks for your comment!

      We run tutorials on each of the three LEAs, and the SWP and LEP refreshers allow you to practice the practical components of the assessments in our specialised classroom that replicates the testing environment.

      An expert trainer will be there to guide you and answer your questions, and small class sizes mean you can get one-on-one support. We find that our students also learn from each other as they come from many different areas of the industry and relate the course to their experiences.

      Click here to go to the courses or contact our Student Services team for more info and to book.


  4. I had applied for RPL and completed my context gap training and successfully obtained Cert III in Electrotechnology. Can I now sit for LEA exams?

    1. Hi Nadeem,

      Thanks for your comment. It sounds like you’re on the right track, but as the agency responsible for licensing electricians, ESV (or the equivalent organisation if you’re not in Victoria) is best placed to assess your individual situation. You can find out more and get their contact details here.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *