NECA Education & Careers, in conjunction with Apprenticeships Victoria, is delighted to announce our Women and Their Trade (WaTT) initiative which is designed to provide career opportunities for women in the electrical industry.
The initiative is being undertaken with the assistance of funding from the Victorian Government’s Apprenticeship Innovation Fund through the Apprenticeships Victoria ‘Women in Apprenticeships’ Project.
The Women in Apprenticeships fund will remove barriers to women entering historically male-dominated trades like electrical. In 2020, there were 10,041 electrical apprentices in Victoria. Only 353 of them were women, a mere 3.5%.
NECA Education & Careers has seen how this underrepresentation of women in the industry has led to even less women having the desire to join our industry. If you can’t see it, you can’t be it!
Our Women and Their Trade project will see 25 women over the next 2 years engage in their electrical apprenticeship with NECA Education & Careers. Our goal is to follow these apprentices through to successful completion and to arm them with tools, resources and support that will benefit them well into their electrical careers.
Working with our electrical contracting partners, we plan to pave the way for equity of women in electrical apprenticeships. So, what’s on offer?
- ‘Try-a-trade’ days – participate in hands-on workshops
- An A Grade Electrician mentor – a fellow female who can guide you through your electrical apprenticeship
- Mature age welcome – another barrier broken down
- Additional training – resilience training and strengths uncovering, as well as financial guidance
- Training support – by our NECA Education & Careers Learning Support Specialist
- Training delivery – with one of our preferred TAFE partners
and a range of other benefits including networking events with others, just like you.
Click here to get in contact with one of our WaTT team members and see how you too can call the electrical industry your trade, your career.