What do electricians do?
Electricians are tradesmen whose responsibilities are to design, install, maintain and troubleshoot electrical wiring systems. These systems can be located in homes, commercial or industrial buildings, and even machines and large pieces of equipment. Electricians work either inside or outside to make possible the use of lights, televisions, industrial equipment, appliances and many other items essential to life.
Electricians may perform the following tasks:
- Reading electrical, architectural and mechanical diagrams, drawings and specifications to determine job requirements
- Plan the layout of wiring systems
- Installation of lighting, power, conduit, cable tray, ladder rack and emergency lighting
- Carry out fault finding, testing, repair and maintenance of electrical equipment
- Connect electrical equipment and appliances
- Install switchboards and motors
- Installation of automation and controls
- Voice and Data Installation.
With further experience, business training and completion of a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) course, electricians may choose to become electrical contractors, running their own business.